We went over to our friends for dinner, the other night, to make sushi! They’ve invited a professional chef (and co-worker) to teach us all how to do it. Since almost all of us were completely oblivious to how it is to be done properly, it proved to be extremely useful to have someone there who actually knew what to do. We ended up having so much fun, that it led me to think that this would be an absolutely fantastic party or gift idea!
Think how great it would be to invite your husband, wife, girlfriend or boyfriend for a stay-home sushi date, and make sushi together! It really is creative and romantic and is not very hard to pull off! You can stick to traditional recipes or create your own!
Sushi and Miso Soup
Here are a few recipes to get you started:
Preparing Sushi Rice:
We prepared our sushi rice using a rice cooker, a bit of water and rice vinegar.
Preparing the Nori Sheets:
– Use the whole Nori sheet for regular size sushi rolls.
– You can also use a piece of the Nori sheet to hold bbq eel or imitation crab on top of the sushi. To get the right size here, cut the sheet in half (width wise) and cut strips (width wise again) about 1.5cm wide.
– Keep the Nori sheets dry.
Preparing the Fish:
– You need to get your fish fresh and make sure it is sushi grade. If you do not know where to get your fish, go to a local Chinese or Japanese supermarket or a store that specifically sells sushi supplies. You should let the person helping you know that you are going to be using the fish to make sushi. Not all fish are suitable, so you need to beware.
Homemade Sushi – cutting the fish
– Cutting the fish is almost an art form in itself. Professionals developed special techniques in their attempt to get the best taste.
Preparing the Vegetables
– Figure out what you what type of rolls and sushi you will be making ahead of time, so that you can have everything you need right beside you.
Homemade Sushi – preparation
California Roll Recipe
You will need: 1 cup of sushi rice, 1 nori sheets, 2 imitation crab sticks, thinly sliced avocado, cucumber, some toasted sesame seeds, tobiko.
– Make sure to wrap the bamboo sushi mat with plastic wrap in order to prevent rice from sticking to the mat
– Break 1 Nori sheet in half and place it on the sushi mat with the shiny side facing down
– Spread the sushi rice over the nori as thin as you like it (usually about 1cm high)
– Sprinkle sesame seeds over the rice
– Flip the Nori/rice combination so the rice is facing down on top of the sushi mat
– Place the imitation crab sticks along the center of the Nori
– Place the thinly sliced avocado pieces next to the crab sticks
– You can also add some tobiko and cucumber inside the roll as well
– Roll and decorate the roll with some sprinkled tobiko
– Cut into equal pieces
Spicy Tuna Roll Recipe
You will need: 150g of Tuna fillet, Spicy Mayo, 2 or 3 Nori sheets, 2 cups of sushi rice, Avocado, Cucumber, Toasted Sesame Seeds, a Sushi mat wrapped in plastic wrap.
– Take your tuna fillet and cut it into small, nail size pieces and place in a bowl.
– Add spicy mayo to the tuna and mix.
– Place your 2 cups of sushi rice on top of the 2 or 3 Nori sheets. The rice is sticky and you need to spread it as thin as you like it onto the sheets. We’ve also sprinkled some toasted sesame seeds on top of the rice.
– Place the rice/Nori combination onto the plastic wrapped sushi mat (rice side onto the mat).
– Place your tuna mix along the center of the Nori, along with thinly sliced cucumber and avocado.
– Roll it and cut.
Homemade Sushi – Spicy Tuna Roll
Sushi and Sashimi
Don’t forget to leave some fish to make sushi and sashimi. Sushi are fairly easy to make. Just take a spoonful of rice and add a bit of wasabi and the fillet of fish on top. For larger pieces like imitation crab legs, you can cut up Nori sheets to wrap the crab onto the rice.
Be creative with your sushi rolls and enjoy the meal!